A staggering 12% of babies born are born with either a known disability or special health care need at the time of birth or will be diagnosed with a disability or special health care need by the time they start school. Their parents need the support and understanding of other parents that have gone through the same thing. They need someone to give them hope. They need and want peer-to-peer support.
Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans is a resource center staffed by trained, knowledgeable parents of children with disabilities or special health care needs.
What Do We Do?
- We provide special education support for the entire state of Louisiana.
- We provide non-education, disability, and special health care support in Jefferson Parish and the GNO area.
- We answer questions and assist with any disability or special health care need, any age.
- We teach you about your rights under the different civil rights and education laws specific to children and adults with disabilities and special health care needs.
- We provide you with resources to get the services you or your child needs.
- We teach you to advocate for your child or yourself, and over time your child will learn to self-advocate.
- We help you navigate support systems and overcome challenges in these systems.
- We publish Exceptional Times, our monthly digital magazine.
- We offer over 100 training opportunities annually.
- We are active on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- LAdisABILITY Talk is our closed Facebook group where you can ask questions to a group of other parents like you.
Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans incorporated in November of 1991. Because of our multiple funding sources, we are fortunate enough to provide services and support to every parish in the state of Louisiana. We are an IRS 501(c)3 organization that is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 51% parents of children with disabilities. Donations are accepted and very much appreciated.
FHF of GNO is proud partners with numerous organizations, state offices, and others to offer a wide array to support and resources to families. We are also part of a statewide network of ten Families Helping Families Centers. We are the only federally funded family-directed resource center in Louisiana that provides support for ALL disabilities and special health care needs.
FHF of GNO is unique because our support staff are all parents of children with disabilities or special health care needs or individuals with disabilities or special health care needs. Because of their knowledge and through their experience and passion – they teach parents and professionals that support children and adults with disabilities how to navigate the complex service delivery system. They know firsthand the challenges and obstacles and commit their time to teach other, less experienced parents, individuals, and professionals, what they’ve learned and what to anticipate. Many parents tell us our staff is the first person ever to understand their daily challenges and rewards. Often we are the ones that validate those initial feelings of confusion and help guide you early on and throughout periods of transition.
If you need support, we are here for you!
The Mission of Families Helping Families of Greater New Orleans is to educate and connect children and adults with disabilities and special health care needs, and their families to resources, services, and supports to attend school, work, and thrive in their communities.